“Even the mundane task of washing dishes by hand is an example of the small tasks and personal activities that once filled people’s daily lives with a sense of achievement.”
~B. F. Skinner
Of course an automatic dishwasher has the benefit of time consumption, but have you thought about the benefits of washing them yourself by hand?
Here is Why You Might Want To:
- The act itself has been found to actually reduce stress and calm you.
- Practicing “mindfulness” while doing the chore, actually focuses your concentration and lets distracting thoughts simply pass through your brain and away again. This may help reduce anxiety and depression.
- You save room in your kitchen where your automatic dishwasher would have gone.
- You can invite a household member to dry as you wash…Great way to catch up at the end of a long day.
- It’s hard to find automatic dishwasher detergents without phosphates in them, which can be harmful to the environment.
- Consider the ecological impact of the manufacturing of your dishwasher, and what happens to it when it breaks down and is no longer fixable.
- Keeping your hands active in the warmth of the water may help reduce arthritis pain and irritation. Keeping your hands active overall will help reduce your chances of inflammation related hand disease later in life.
- Doing daily chores yourself helps establish a sense of duty in your home, commitment, and purpose.